Friday, November 27, 2009

I'm Thankful for Alzheimer's Caregivers

Today I visited my brother and his wife in Hot Springs. This was not your typical Thanksgiving holiday type of visit. Johanna is a resident at a nursing home in Hot Springs – she has Alzheimer’s. The facility where she is residing is providing great care. My brother is very thankful for the care that Johanna is receiving and for her caregivers.

My visit today caused me to reflect on all of the people and things in our lives that we should be grateful for. My visit also caused me to think about all of the caregivers out there - whether professional caregivers, family members or volunteers, who are quietly working in the trenches every day to make the life of an Alzheimer’s patient just a little better. For all of these caregivers, I am very thankful. If you know a caregiver, visit them today. If you have the time, sit with their loved one for a little while to give the caregiver a brief respite. And tell the caregiver that you appreciate what they are doing. They are doing their part to make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment